Monday, February 6, 2012

Catnip tea, fun in Paris and other bits

Yes, I have been slacking a bit on the site. But not because I've lost interest...just lack of time to sit down and write something! So I am back from a busy week and a long weekend spent in Paris. Here goes...a recap of my past week in keeping with my picture of the day format.

Every night, I settle down before bed with a nightcap. Of tea that is. Now don't worry - I won't start saying I'd like a "spot of tea" or getting all snotty about it, growing my own leaves or whatever. It's part of my nightly routine that I've done for years to wind me down from the day. Anyways, Taylor always seems to find me once I've made my tea. She rubs her entire face all over the mug, and then attacks the little paper at the end of the string, chews and licks it until it is all soggy and starts coming apart. I'm getting suspicious of what they put in my bedtime tea. In any case, it is the same result...we both end up sleepy from it and go to bed.


Paris (backwards Sun-Fri)
It was freaking cold in Paris this weekend. And you would think with all of the traveling I've done in the past year that I would be much better at packing. But me and my canvas Converse All-Stars went a-traveling to 30 degree, snowy Paris. Despite near frostbite, I had a great time meeting up with Carrie and two of her friends. Sunday was spent walking around in the snow and seeing the Musee D'Orsay before I had to catch my train back to London...here's a view of Pont Alexandre on the Seine.
I take back most things I've ever said or assumed about the French -- they aren't all that bad. We met some nice people, from a spry old waitress to a taxi driver, from a man at the bar offering us some of his whiskey (from the bottle he bought from the bar...no thanks!) to this guy Greg (below) who bought us all drinks. We got a taste of the Paris nightlife after a day of sightseeing...here's us at some funky little underground bar.
The night I arrived, we went to see the Tour Eiffel and watching Carrie see it for the first time was great. She nearly got hit by a car - dashing across the street to get a good view - but safely made it to get a good picture. It is really stunning in person....
Thursday
Cats aren't as dumb as you think. Once my suitcase is out, these two act like maniacs. Trying to pack with them jumping in and out of it constantly is a challenge. Here is Grace getting suspicious.


Wednesday
Cold snap in London! I think this is the coldest it has been since I've been here...and I don't like it! It was so mild last winter, I don't remember it getting below 40. This is my flat building...this is usually a big silver ball fountain.
Tuesday
Nothing special...just proud of myself for knowing my way around London these days. Especially when you take a look at their metro map. Looks a bit different than home!

Monday
Okay, I admit it - this is a bit of a stretch for a photo of the day. However....I brought in my (now declared) famous fudge balls to work today and they were quite the hit. For those that haven't had the luxury of tasting these deelish treats, let me enlighten you. A sugar-free chocolate snack that tastes like fudge - heaven. Here's the recipe: 4T pure cocoa powder, 1t vanilla, 1.5 c pitted dates, 2-3T coconut flakes (or sliced almonds, any other nut). Put them all in a food processor/blender. Roll up into balls and put them in the fridge. Amazingness chocolate treats with no added sugar. 

No comments:

Post a Comment