Wednesday, February 8, 2012

I went to Paris and all I got was...

a bag of peanuts.
So yes - I went back to Paris for the day today. It sounds very glamorous, but in reality it meant a 4:45am alarm, 2 hours on my butt, 4 hours of meetings, and then 2 more hours on my rear. (Read: expense reductions at State Street). So I didn't get any more pics of the sites in Paris, but I did get a kick out of this. 
Being in marketing, I always like to see how global brands market their products to various cultures, countries, etc. So Planters positions its peanuts as a true "American Original" - which I get....hamburgers, apple pie, peanuts - pretty much staples of American culture. But the picture of Beverly Hills is what made me laugh....this American company really thinks that Europeans think of BH when they think of America! 
That is certainly different from what I've learned. In fact, I wish they thought we were all BH. I found that though the perceptions vary - there is generally a majority vote on 2 types of Americans. 1) uneducated hillbillies (thanks COPS) or bimbo, spoiled brats who spend all their parent's money on plastic surgery (thanks Jersey Shore) - neither who have never left their hometown and think Europe is the planet next to Jupiter and 2) the remaining 5% of the population that live/work in Hollywood, buy gold toilets, gold teeth, gold Bentleys and hang out with Brangelina on the weekends (thanks American films). 
Don't worry - these perceptions are only of those that have never been to America. (Ironic, the ignorant untravelled calling the untravelled ignorant.) Those that have gone to the US absolutely love it and the people. Yay USA!

No comments:

Post a Comment